Children that don’t read over the summer usually regress and return to school at a lower reading level in the fall. Here are 10 easy ways to keep your child reading.
1. Go to the library once a week and let your child pick out a pile of books that will last a week.
2. Let them read almost anything they like. Comic books for example can be relaxing and fun for a change.
3. Let your child subscribe to one or more age and subject appropriate magazines that interest him or her. Among the many that are written for specific ages include Sports Illustrated Kids, Ranger Rick, Nickelodeon, American Girl, and Highlights.
4. Let them use the computer/library to research topics of interest to them.
5. Find mystery or puzzle books which encourage children to solve a mystery through clues in the text. THE ELEVENTH HOUR, A CURIOUS MYSTERY: An elephant's 11th birthday party is marked by 11 games before the banquet to be eaten at the 11th hour, but when the time to eat arrives, the b-day feast has disappeared. Reader is invited to guess the thief.
6. Let them stay up an extra hour to read before going to bed.
7. Hook them on a good book series. They’ll be anxious to finish one story and begin another.
8. Put a time limit on video game use.
9. Be a good role model, let your children see you reading.
10. Read a book before attending summer movies and compare and contrast them.